Thursday, January 30, 2014

No Sad Looks

I don't want sad looks when people find out I'm single.  This used to happen a lot at work.  Some people (I know they weren't trying to be mean) have even said, "Why are you single?  You are attractive and you don't seem psycho."  Is being single really that bad?  I don't think so!  I can think of a lot of things I have which the coupled up people do not, such as:
  • I can sing really loudly and really poorly (not only in the shower)
  • I can sleep for eight solid hours should I choose to (for the people with kids)
  • I can eat ice cream for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and not get disapproving looks
  • I don't have to wear clothes in my apartment if I don't want to
  • I can spend 8K on shoes and not have to explain myself
  • Basically, I can do whatever I want, when I want (I'm not talking about killing people, stealing cars, breaking into homes, etc, but you know this)
I'm tired of having to explain my status and way of life to people.  I stopped talking to an old friend because he kept telling me that he thinks I am a lesbian.  It got unbelievably annoying.  I have no problem with lesbians, but I don't need people in my life to insist that I am a lesbian because I don't have a man.

12 comments:

  1. Lol. Yup. I get the same crap. Same ole same ole. It's like if I wanted to settle I would have back in the day, but then I would be unhappy, miserable and contemplating divorce. People are just afraid of being alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate how some people try to make other people feel bad or weird because they are miserable. I know some married people (pretty sure they are unhappily married) who try to make me feel bad for being single. Jealous much?

      Delete
  2. I hate the sympathy and the condescending "Don't worry, you'll meet someone!" Yes, I'm sure I will meet someone, when time and circumstances are right.

    There's so many great things about being single! Just today my cousin was telling me she wishes she could convince her husband to ditch Ohio and move to California. Well, I get to move wherever I want!

    I once had a boss who was convinced I was a lesbian because I was single... and I thought, even if I were a lesbian, I could still be single if I hadn't met the right person! DUH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, being single is spectacular! Lol, your old boss...

      Delete
  3. Haha 8k on shoes. Oh wait, maybe that wasn't a joke. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not single and still do those things (except the shoes) ... :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like your husband is very accepting, very nice, you got a good one!

      Delete
    2. Hey me too! And I don't spend that much on shoes but I do on camping gear! He doesn't say a word because he spends that much on bikes and skis.

      Delete
  5. No guy in his right mind would object to his girl wearing no clothes in the appartment. Will complain about the singing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. As the mother of a 3 week old and a fan of your blog, I am totally jealous that you get to do all those things! Especially the 8 hours of sleep..... I will always remember my single years as some of the best times, when I got to learn so much about myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you are really sweet! Congrats on having a baby and finding the right guy!

      Delete